MY REFUGE: THE LIDDER RIVER AT PAHALGAM

No, I don’t hear the long, melancholy roar
Of faith withdrawing
As Mathew Arnold heard long years back

At the Dover Beach
Here, on River Lidder’s sun streaked sublimity
There are no tales of gore
No raven of yore does Poe
Its woe
 With cries of nevermore
There is no mystery to explore
Only to interpret its innermost secrets and dreams
In reams and reams
Of foam, froth and freckles, while indulgently the sun beams
Smoothes out its wrinkles with gold tinted fingers
Ah, the smile on the Lidder lingers
And lingers
With my heart blithe as the morn
I look up at the sky
 Where the cloudy mermaid
Executes a dance step and is gone
To become a seahorse then a unicorn
Then suddenly into nothingness dissolved
Leaving many a puzzle unsolved
Bereft and desolate looks the sky
In just the blink of an eye
But then with an ardour unabashed the waves flirt with my feet
Dancing merrily to their own beat
A fish flounders around in the water, caught in the whip and lash of a wave
I wring my hands, alas, a small fry I cannot save 
Hysterical screams of many small fries batter against my ears
 And feed my fears
The snow clad mountains, flaunting an air of a solid placidity
Look down upon me as I mourn the satanic ingenuity
 Which deals yet another blow
But the sublime river               
Soothes away my pain severe
Pouring forth the music of the accordion, the piano, the guitar and also the flute
Drowning the wails of a beleaguered humanity and the lone owl hoot
The cottage in the distance shimmers and shines in the noon day sun
Silent tears roll down my cheeks ruing the violence of the gun
And take refuge in the river
 Miraculously, the roar of the guns falls silent.
 And also the distant infantile screams
The juvenile dreams which ah, so cruelly were nipped in the bud
I hear only the bird singing and beseeching the trigger happy to holster their guns

No more for me the tales of gore.
Yes, nevermore
A tiny speck of colour atop a Pine tree all aflame
Chirps, while the flirtatious breeze plays a cheeky game
 Who is that bearded man under the Pine tree
 Brush in hand
In this beleaguered land
 Painting a Starry night?
Darkness falls with brightness bright
Ah, the night is alight.
 Sprinkling the sky with grains of golden lentils
The newborn moon bloated with promise
 Blows me a loving kiss
Merrily it floats on the wings of a blustery breeze
And from my   forehead removes many a crease
Here, far from the madding crowd and the cacophony of recriminations loud
There is no blame game or an effort to defame
No, this is not an escape route or a subterfuge
 Only a refuge. My refuge.
I scoop up the moonbeams from the moon blanched bank,
Filch some star shavings from the star streaked sky
 Garnish them with the sunrays of the morn
And wait for the birth of a peaceful dawn.
In soothing tones, my faith whispers, this is no myth   like the unicorn.
Soon will disappear the ill will, rancour and hate.

So, I wait.

Comments

  1. Loved reading this! It makes me want to go to Kashmir...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Ruma. Do go there definitely, it is beautiful, and sheathed in a pristine purity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written..
    The new born moon..bahut sundar
    Padh kr anand aa gya

    ReplyDelete
  4. You capture the music of the river with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surely this will restore faith for peace in Kashmir,through this poem i met with mainstream poetry, i am proud of being a student of this poetess :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply superbbb mam.... Awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have turned insane
    Not even fit to be called human
    We kill our own brethren
    Turn one against one

    We deserve to be hated
    Not to be compared or equated
    We have condemned human birth
    And offered only death

    Who will pardon
    When nothing is to be condoned
    We deserve to be shamed
    And surely blamed too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let hate remain forever elsewhere. Thanks Santosh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts