IS THAT YOU DAD?


You know dad, that day when you were not around 
I was filled  with dread .
 Pinioned to  the bed 
By four arms from the left four from the right.
Ah, the night was not at all bright 
It was dark like a chocolate cookie
And the moon  scary and spooky. 
Grotesque faces  
With mammoth sideburns
Holding lanterns
In hirsute hands,  cackled  
While I on the bed lay shackled. 

This was five days after you  died 
Oh, how I had cried.
Would you have raged against the dying light
And not gone gentle into that good night 
Had you but known?
 But alas, now you had flown.
But hadn't a clairvoyant
In a voice buoyant
Sitting in our drawing room on the cushioned settee
Told you , you  would live to be eighty?

Ah, is that you, sitting hunched over your study table
Evaluating  answer sheets 
And preparing your lecture on Keats?
While the woman in white  looks on 
Great expectations    stare ?
And the moonstone shines
With a mysterious air?
Ah, it is not fair.

In this bibliophilic confusion
There is a sad profusion 
Of memories.
Did I just catch a glimpse of you
 Jumping over the boundary wall
Ah , what if you had had a fall
With the tennis racket clutched in your hand?
And  under the moonlit sky
Standing mighty and high
Reciting the owl and the pussy cat in your voice grand?

With a hat on your head  
Your trousers' ends securely clipped 
To the university, on your cycle you had ventured out
 Many a time  clearing  my niggling doubt.
Ah, your mouth watering pancakes slathered
 With chocolate  syrup.
Your handsome face wreathed in smiles
 While the tea became cold in your   tea cup
And mom looked on warmly.

Who was it speaking in that powerful baritone?
I felt a sudden chill in every bone. 
A hand feathery in its softness
On my forehead did press . 
"Sweet my child,my magpie robin I am here for  thee
And will live for thee ."

And  you did live for me.
In me  
Around me  
Inside me . 
As promised that day
Dad,  you never left
And with your unending love 
I never felt lost
 Or bereft.

Comments

  1. A very moving poem, superbly composed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So moving. You capture the depth of the emotion you and your dad shared so beautiful, and make it so clear that your bonds go beyond death. He will always be with you.. that is so clear. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another illustration from Santosh of how loving life can be and how this has been her experience both in her ascribed family and now in her achieved. Such love is the hallmark of Santosh's life and work and is a great pleasure to behold. Thanks for sharing it, Santosh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad too was an ocean of everything under the sun, he left us all so suddenly there was nothing to do except the dithering hands that cling me to the bed every morning ThanQ Santosh for this Ode to Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts