La Belle Dame Sans Merci Returns [with apologies to Keats]
I am no femme fatale who put you under a spell 
Remember, it was you who for my charms fell?
My long hair,my wild eyes, were not both my fault.
Why did you come with me to the elfin grot?
I did not chase you on horseback with a spear
Do not look so anguished, come, wipe that tear
Pray, before you level allegations, look within
Do you think my being light-footed was a sin?

Heed my words, nothing ails you, knight-at -arms
Stop day dreaming and look at nature’s charms.
Drop those histrionics, don’t look so woebegone
Try auto-suggestion, and welcome the new dawn.
Pray, tell me, why the woman is always blamed?
Your half –truths have always wrongly claimed
I never beseeched you for a garland for my head
Shake yourself, rub the sleep kinks out, you sleepy head!.
See the sprightly squirrel still scavenging for food
Awake to your disgraceful folly, have no time to brood.
Can’t you hear the music of the sedge birds who sing?
Don’t defame me, stop loitering, and go have a fling.

Comments

Popular Posts