18 JUNE 2019 - [SGLI , OAKRIDGE SCHOOL, HYDERABAD ]

18 June 2019 saw me on  an early  morning  flight to Hyderabad  , which reached the airport at 8. 30 am ,   from where I headed straight for Oakridge International School , where I  ,as a guest speaker , was  to address a session on the theme of MORAL COURAGE in SGLI [STUDENTS GLOBAL LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE , an international summer programme that is conducted every year in their school campus.]

 The  students were a cross section from different parts of the world . I began by telling them that I am a trifle mad , and always try to follow Robin Williams' words that one should always retain that mad spark  , so my entire life has been devoted to infusing insanity in the sane world around , through my frenzied writing . 

 My talk was anecdotal , embellished with incidents from the time when I had joined my career as a lecturer  in a post- graduate government  college for boys  [Bharatpur , Rajasthan] , where the students ,  who were older than me , would waylay me and ask me whether I  had come to teach or study .  During invigilation duties ,  I had stopped an intimidating looking boy from cheating .  This guy , who had a dagger stuck in the desk , had abused and threatened me with dire consequences , ' aapko dekh loonga ,aapney mera career kharaab kar diya' [ I will see you , you spoilt my career ]  but I had run into the Principal's chamber , with the dagger in hand , and the boy in tow . The other invigilator , a senior lecturer had looked the other way .

 In the evening , the boy  had  met me at the station , he was going to Mathura and I to Delhi. He did not recognize me , but I did, and I walked up to him , and told him , you said ," you wanted to 'see me' , now 'see me' , he immediately fell at my feet ,  apologising profusely.

 This  example of moral courage from my own life  , set the ball rolling , and then I  got talking about Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr ,  citing examples from their lives .  I quoted extensively from To kill a Mocking Bird, the iconic novel of Harper Lee   and the protagonist , Atticus Finch , who fights the case of an African American , Tom Robinson , despite knowing that he is 'licked'  right from the beginning because of being pitted against an all- white -jury  But , he said , he had to do it , because , he could not connive at injustice .  I was pleasantly surprised to know that all of them had read the book and knew who Atticus Finch was , and that Gregory Peck  had played Atticus Finch in the movie !

 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere' , this quote from A LETTER FROM BIRMINGHAM JAIL has always been my favourite quote of Martin Luther King Jr . and this figured many  times in my talk . And yes, everyone really loved the cover of my forthcoming book on Martin Luther King jr.




This was followed by role -playing and a very invigorating interactive session in which the students asked me myriad questions . What was the first poem that I wrote ? Who is my favorite author ? What made me write about these moral icons ? How can one become a good writer ? How do you retain your insanity in the sane world ?
 I  concluded by telling them , that with their moral courage , they can unleash a Brave New World , by  becoming Influencers and setting  moral examples for others to follow.

Ms . Hema Chennupati , the Principal of the school , amiable  and soft- spoken , was a delight to talk to, so were Ms Manisha Vasudha , Programmes Coordinator [SGLI] ,Mr. Srinivas Dasari , Mr Ankit Bhasin and  Ms Sonia Prasad, [Head Career Counsellor]   .   All  politeness personified.    Thanks for all the warm hospitality and love . I will forever cherish  every moment of my stay here . Thanks a ton.
 Great school , great environs , great people .   If I had a school going child , I would just love him or her to blossom in these pleasant surroundings . I wish I had time to go around the huge , sprawling campus , but I had an evening flight and so rushed back . When it was time to go , the students heaped me with paintings  and chocolates and lots of love . I left. with fond memories  and  their pleasant, brilliant faces forever etched in my mind .


Comments

Popular Posts