The Recliner PROMPT 3 NAPOWRIMO


The Recliner
My bitter half raises a reluctant eye from the mobile screen.  
His expression a cross between Rock Hudson and Mr. Bean.
In his addictive binge watching, he wants absolutely no distraction.
No, he is not lazy, but just a perfect picture of serene inaction! 

Not a finger moves, not an eye flickers, and not a toe stirs.  
As I look daggers at him, trying to churn out a pathetic verse.  
My mind is all a quiver as a river of emotions ripples and roars.
 Pray, is the reclining figure bent on settling some old scores?  
 
“Do watch this movie”, he says, without looking in my direction. 
 My poor heart sighs, unable to endure this heartless rejection.    
Is this reclining figure modelling for some modern day Picasso?
 I wonder, envying him his posture, but hey, he just moved a toe! 

“Tea time”, he chimes, looking like Rock Hudson and not like Mr. Bean.
 I notice, the reclining figure is suddenly glowing like a guy of fifteen.
Come on, writer folks, this is neither some folk lore, nor a mere fable.  
His eyes, gestures and smiles beseech me to leave my writing table.

With another bright glow in his eye, he says ‘Tea time!’ once again.
 How can a writer under these circumstances do anything but complain?  
No tea?”  He suddenly asks, this time a little louder than before.
The poor verse in my mind is now a whimper, no longer a roar.  

 I head towards the kitchen, bidding adieu to my sparkling inspiration.
The Recliner, reclines a little more   on the sofa, waiting in anticipation.
 “Here is the cup that cheers”, I mumble with a humongous frown.
Taking a sip, The Recliner rejoins “Hope we are soon free of this lockdown.”

“Good tea”, he says, returning the empty cup, his eyes on the mobile screen.
 His body slackens and his expressions are now reminiscent of Mr. Bean.  
Let me go wash dishes as he goes gaga over the histrionics of Al Pacino.  
 My fingers are itching, methinks, he has turned me into a modern day Picasso.

Let me now replace my pen with a paint brush   and paint The Recliner,
while he now heads towards the lobby and reclines on the settee , designer .
 Fooled you there, friends, please do take what I write with a pinch of salt.
 Honestly, my bitter half, oops , better half, is definitely not at fault!

Comments

Popular Posts