WHAT IF MONSTERS

What if
I die in my sleep?
What if
I want to write, and no words come ? 
What if
I am struck dumb
I who love to chatter 
about everything under the sun, or the moon for that matter?
What if I turn  blind and cannot see the beautiful world 
around me curled?
What if arthritis strikes my fingers 
and that perennial smile no longer lingers
 On my face?

Stealthily these "what if " monsters around me  creep
 when they think I am asleep
  make grotesque faces,dance and prance
 Derisively they cackle 
With a humongous hug   they try to shackle
  Me  and my dreams.
From the sidelines watch the moonbeams.
Hope creeps through the window clinging to a moonbeam bright.
 Plants a kiss on my forehead in the oppressive night.
With horrified gasps the monsters vanish
no longer do horror and anguish
Plague me, as hope yet again,  puts back that perennial smile 
on my face.

Comments

Popular Posts