WHERE DID I BLUNDER?

My eyes tingled 
As , unobserved,  with the crowd I mingled.
With panic gripped 
When on the ground I tripped
But no one raised a brow
Impassively from a telephone wire watched a dove.
None  did yell 
When on the ground I fell
Or lent a helping hand to a fallen man
But as if  , in a rodent derby , they  ran
In helter skelter confusion
The road, of myriad sounds a weird fusion.

 Hysterically , the wind howled 
And the traffic viciously snarled .
 But, like a spirit lost, I sailed along lightly
Missing my home mightily.
Ah, at last,  I was home, home sweet home.
In the beams   of the bloated moon {Was it on steroids?}
 My name plate beamed .
Or so it seemed. 
 I peeped through the window
Yearning to know 
How my family caring
 In my absence was faring  .




 Ah, here I now stand outside my sweet home .
 I almost  choke 
Seeing my loved folk
Laughing boisterously and talking
One with irrepressible mirth almost rocking .
Come on , I am not stalking. 
Ah, soft, she comes, she comes. 
A happy song  my heart hums. 
The sky which once was   an ingenuous blue 
Suddenly assumes a darker hue.
She stands  near the window.
Is she smiling? How can she smile?
I seethe
 Gnashing my teeth
And banging my feet.
 And then she is gone.
Is she not sad that she will now grow old alone?  
No, I  am not furious
But just a little curious .
Curiosity killed the cat , they say.
But, perish the thought
Wasn't I killed almost a year back?
In a road accident severe.
I wipe away an invisible tear.
There is the  aroma of roast in the oven
Have  they forgotten how I loved it ?
 It was as though in the solar plexus I was hit.
It  is unmistakable. 
The aroma , I mean.
I am  not able
 To stop my invisible tears
Am  I forgotten so soon ?
The moon
Hides under a cloud, not having an answer.
I dare one last look at my photo in the frame.
No, I  no longer look the same .
In the frame  I am   beaming 
Or, maybe I am  dreaming?

Oh, where did I blunder? 
Overhead , the clouds  thunder. 
With one vicious tug
 I yank away the name plate from the wall.
And despite my  sudden  stoop, try  to walk tall.
Away from the cacophony and clamour 
The glitz and the glamour
Of a world  in a hurry
 To bury 
Me and  my memories too . 

With the aroma of the roast  in my nostrils embedded.
Towards a different path now I headed. 
They had moved on. 
I too had to  move on.  
It was time again to be bedded.  
 Ah, I was finally  home, home sweet home,
 No more would I roam
I could now rust in peace  six feet under. 

Comments

  1. As is usual with Santosh's work, I had no idea where this piece was going. Practically all of it is surprising. Never once in my entire life has the prospect of coming back for a visit after I've died, occurred to me. Now I'll add that to my thought options, like a dream awake! I've thought of going through it's files after I attain Heaven, even going on a day- trip to Hell from there, (to speak with miscreants resident there). I can now see that there is much more to the Afterlife than I had previously appreciated. Thanks, Santosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot for reading and commenting, Pete.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts