THE SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST WORD

They sat on the table looking expectantly at me 
Hordes and hordes of them
A virtual thesaurus 
Ah words and words 
Finely nuanced, equally abled
Some leaning on crutches 
 Some differently abled. 
There was also an ammunition factory of words double barreled
 Namby-pamby, shilly -shally
Willy-nilly, Dilly -dally
Hunched  in helter- skelter confusion 
They sat,  dripping bellicosity in profusion.
Crouching and slouching 
In an offensive mood
They looked rude .

Bouncing around 
Waiting to pounce and trounce
 The words differently abled. 
"Use me ",shouted Malevolently 
"No, me", shrieked Belligerently.
In a frenzy of excitement he fell from the table.
 So I picked up Malevolently and used him in my fable.

Not the one to give up easily
One more word slithered up the table
Trying to insinuate itself into my fable.
Ah tough it was to trounce Resiliently.
Power packed and ambitious it looked
Also supple and  springy
Ah it was clingy
I was hooked .

It was stiff upper lipped 
And had me totally gripped. 
Unwavering it squatted  
Occupying  my table resiliently.
Mesmerizing me, hypnotizing me
 Resiliently.
I scurried  out of the room in haste helter skelter
Wanting to take shelter
 From this welter 
 Of words.
With a bouncy  boom  , it chased me 
Wanting to trick me into a treat
And spook me out
 Resiliently.
I was doomed .

Comments

  1. I especially like words, them being the subject of this poem, I was fascinated, enthralled, absorbed and interested. The dextrous use of language here makes me feel a beginner at English and I have been speaking it for most of my 63 years. This experience is challenging, whilst I respond with a smile, happy to be exposed to it, pleased and glad to acknowledge Santosh's unusually great ability and talent in this direction, (and others).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts