The Nightmare



Frenzied whirlwinds rushed out of the bleak night
Roaring and complaining with a vicious might 
Whirling grotesquely in a savage dance 
Singing viciously of life's impermanence. 

Terror gripped me in an icy clutch
Ah, the panic was indeed too much
The river roared, hissed and spluttered 
In black anger, the clouds muttered.

Out of a ragged sky the clouds stampeded. 
Angry thunderclaps fell, and vision impeded.
Suddenly life appeared ephemeral on that ship
Which was in a malicious tornado’s grip.

The blinding, zigzagging, teeth-grinding lightning 
 Was so frightening, I found my fists tightening.
Alas, I was a pathetic victim of the insane gale 
I spun in the air and caught the sail.

Deafened by the tumult, with terror numb
Relief as remote as for a beggar a bread crumb.
By the fury of the elements dumbfounded 
Absolutely dazed and terribly astounded.

I was like an insect clinging to a thin reed
With incredible rapacity! Mind numbing   greed!
I hung on with fingers of steel
Was the ship about to keel?

With a vicious jerk and a sudden lurch
 Alas, I was flung off my perch
 Would I drown in the watery abyss now?
Transforming an atheist into a believer - and how!

The vicious storm snorting at my impertinence  
Pounded and buffeted, bloated with belligerence 
 Flung me about, lashing me with revenge stout
I felt like a washer-man’s cloth, it was a total rout!

In no time, I disappeared into the foaming vortex
Not knowing what would follow nex'
Alas, now, I was in my watery shroud 
Far, far from the insane crowd.

But who were these faces bending over me
Why was a fish slithering over my knee?
"What are you muttering in your sleep?"
Said my daughter, with concern deep

Picking up Moby Dick from the floor.
I had never been so relieved before.
My nightmare was now a rosy dream
Skimmed milk now appeared as cream.

Towards the book shelf I sheepishly headed 
The nightmare in my mind firmly embedded.
I picked up Freud’s interpretation of dreams
Sheepish smiles having replaced my screams.


Comments

Popular Posts