Of Double Chins And Triple Chins, and Valentine's Day

"Oh no,". My daughter  stormed into the room, stark fear written all over her face and started wringing her hands. 
"What is wrong? "My heart was almost choked with fear.
 "Look ,what had to happen to me on Valentine's day." 
"What?" I looked around .
But I could only see a couple of sparrows who had flown into the house on wings of love and sat perched on the silent fan, whispering sweet nothings into each others' ears, and kissing away. No moral policing for them .
"I am in deep trouble."She hissed.
"Double , double,  toil and trouble,  fire burn and cauldron bubble."
"My entire life is at stake and here you stand quoting Shakespeare, and that too - a witch! "
She snapped, the wringing of her hands  faster and more vigorous.
"What a sadist you are mom, with that never ending smile on your face. You can smile and smile and yet be a villain. Villainy, thy name is mom," she said with a smirk, which  I fondly hoped , was a smile.
"Now , tell me , who is quoting Shakespeare, you or me?"I retorted.
Her smirk was more prominent now .
"I was on whatsapp , and I did not know the camera was on. It clicked a pic of mine- with DOUBLE CHINS and it was sent - mom ,SENT! to this guy, who,  I had hoped...ah, fond hope....." After  a dramatic pause she whined, "do you see the deep waters I am in!"
"Double trouble..cool down,  I know a man with triple chins," I said looking furtively at hubby  , who  had just walked into the room after the morning walk in the neighbourhood park.
"Man with triple chins , what do you mean? Hope you are not talking about me? "His incipient smile too  turned into a smirk.
"You and dad celebrate your valentine's day , I am off, alas , to college on Valentine's Day- with no valentine. All hopes dashed due to double chins." And she  dashed down the stairs.
I could hear the rumblings of a storm in the room, so I prudently vanished out of the room. My hope of a Valentine's Day celebration also dashed due to my snide remarks about  triple chins..alas!
 I sneaked a look in the room to see a sheepish looking hubby  standing in front of the mirror patting his chin, furtively searching for the non existent two chins. 
And the two love birds celebrating Valentine's Day lovingly perched on the fan- undettered by the ridiculous din about chins.

Comments

Popular Posts