SOLITUDE


The moon sobs, I  head towards the window
Bedimmed and grim, alas, it has lost its glow. 
The silence is at  an ear-callousing  crescendo 
Why is the moon  sad , I am desperate to know. 

The  blustering wind outside makes the trees dance.
Ears pricked, senses alert, I watch, as if  in a trance . 
This dancing finesse  draws a roaring applause
 From the clouds ,  as  in my ruminations , I pause .

With malevolence, the clouds  rumble and grumble
With my chaotic feelings , in the solitude I  fumble .
In the  cacophony, trying to hear  my heart beats 
And remembering long forgotten  words of Keats.

Alas,  the  'sweet converse of an innocent mind '
Has  fallen to  the inexorable sweep of time  unkind.  
The moon sighs at the shenanigans of  mortals 
When lost innocence suddenly lisps and chortles .

And  with baby steps , into the present   tumbles 
Looking for mother's lap, it  stumbles and fumbles
And  one ominous cloud after another ,  grumbles
In the distance , a lullaby a fond mother mumbles. 

Lo and behold,  in the corrosive darkness all around 
Something flutters  and, magically ,fireflies abound
 Bright with hope and promise and shimmering light
Trying to cock a snook at the dark, intimidating night. 

They flicker, pregnant with fire , bloated  and steady
Wrapped in  the fragrance of the jasmines heady
Tick , tick goes the ancient and grotesque wall clock
As,  with   my heart, I have a heart to heart talk.

Solitude no longer daunting , is  like mother's hug 
Warm , welcoming and snug , like a bug in a rug.
In this  winsome bondage , memories  riotously rage  
 Fluttering merrily in the    compassionate  cage.

Replete with mother's  caresses,  so loving and  soft 
Thus fortified by the touch,  I hold myself aloft
Lit by  the  spark of the fireflies in the dark.
My heart now, begins to   sing happily like a lark.


My  confused path now  lit by the feisty  fireflies 
No longer in ambush lie the dormant sighs 
On a new journey of companionship I embark
My solitude no more  sullen ,but  a joyous spark.

Comments

Popular Posts