AUTUMN IN MY BELEAGUERED HOMELAND KASHMIR



 Come September,and I remember  the autumn hues of my homeland Kashmir.
 I can still hear the rustle and fall of the Chinar leaves
 Which try to soothe a heart which grieves
For an idyllic past.

 Sitting so far away from my homeland   under the shade of the Gulmohar  tree
 I  recall the tiny bird, merry and free
 Perched atop the tree sheathed in red and gold hues.
This speck of vibrant colour trills and trills
A peace message to humanity which kills and kills.

As though in a somnambulistic trance
My eyes see the leaves which dance
Swirling and whirling like dervishes
 I walk the roads littered with leaves
Hoping that these roads lead to peace , how my heart grieves
 And yearns for the idyllic past.

Anguish moves as though on tiptoe
 A burning progression not unlike the autumnal fire of the  Chinar leaves
Needle sharp feet tread across my heart
. But the lusty chirping of the Cicadas in the Weeping Willows,
 heal the heart that grieves and grieves
For the idyllic past.



The leaves flutter and fall to the ground and weave a red carpet.
 Is it to  welcome  the elusive peace?
 As green turns to gold, I see the anglers happily angling
 away from a world which is forever wrangling.
And ah, my heart tender
  yearns for the spectacular splendor
 of  the idyllic past.

Nature flaunts its new attire
 The Chinar trees all afire
Rekindle the dormant fire
and dreams are resuscitated from the pier,
 they dance around with the Chinar leaves
 putting a balm on a heart which grieves
 for the idyllic past.

 Gloating over their offspring red-cheeked, the apple orchards are all abloom
Where is the room for anguish or gloom?
The migratory birds all a twitter,
 The brown trout stouter and fitter.
The frolicking fish, feisty and fun
With their spunky mischief drown the roar of the gun
The autumn season does not lament the falling leaves
But gives the healing touch to a heart which grieves.

Yes,with a resilience rare these fallen leaves will rise again
And adorn the trees once again
 Resolutely removing  the suffering and pain
Adding their notes to a world symphony lulling   all war mongering to a deep  sleep .
 And healing the heart which no longer grieves.
.

Comments

  1. So many lovely images in this... I love how the rhythm pulls the reader through, yet without feeling too prescribed. I also love your symbolic use of nature, and how you notice every tiny detail, and its meaning, which so many of us overlook... My favorite parts are where your eyes see the leaves dancing (such a beautiful description) and nature flaunting its new attire... and anguish moving on tiptoe... I also like how the transformation of the healing comes in the ordinariness of your surroundings. It is such a meaningful idea and so heart-felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, I agree totally with Lisa Ellis. Familiar sentiments like a longing for the past rekindled, peaceful days everywhere, whist being in tune with nature, must surely have us all empathetic and sympathetic?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts